You can setup Gmail to both collect and send emails from your email account.
This is a two part setup:
- Setup “Check email from other accounts” (collection)
- Setup “Send mail as” (sending)
There are also some recommended settings / notes below.
Setup “Check email from other accounts” and “Send mail as”
Follow these steps to set up Gmail to receive your email messages.
- On your computer, sign in to the Gmail account you want to import to.
- In the top right, click Settings > Settings.
- Click the Accounts and import tab.
- In the “Check email from other accounts” section, click Add a mail account.
- Type the email address of the other account, then click Next.
- Select “Import emails from my other account (POP3)” and click Next.
- For Username, type in your full email address
- Type your password.
- For POP Server, type in mail3.gridhost.co.uk
- For Port, select 995
- Check the box
- Recommended: Check the boxes next to the options below:
- “Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail”
- “Label incoming messages”
- Check “Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server” if you plan on continuing to use other IMAP / webmail email clients. Leaving this unchecked means mail will be removed from the origin mail server.
- Leave the other boxes unchecked.
- Click Add Account.
- Select “Yes, I want to be able to send mail as …” and select Next
- Enter the Name to be shown on mail that you send.
- For SMTP Server, type mail3.gridhost.co.uk
- For Port, select 465
- For Username, type in your full email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Type your Password
- Select “Secured connection, using SSL”
- Select Add Account.
- Select Close Window.
- Go to Gmail inbox and check for email from “Gmail Team” with subject “Gmail Confirmation…”.
- Open email and click link to confirm.
Recommended settings / notes
Select From email address
After this has been configured, you can then select which email address to send an email from when composing an email.
Reply from the same address to which the message was sent
To make replying to emails easier and perhaps look more professional you can change this setting found under Settings, under the “Accounts and import” tab, under “Send mail as“:
This avoids the need to select the From address when replying to emails.